A corrupted driver is a software program that controls a hardware device on your computer but has become damaged or unusable.
- Power outages or other sudden interruptions can cause drivers to become corrupted.
- Viruses and malware can also corrupt drivers.
- Improperly installing or uninstalling drivers can also lead to corruption.
- Using outdated drivers can also increase the risk of corruption.
Corrupted drivers can cause a number of problems on your computer, including:
- Blue screen errors
- System instability
- Hardware malfunctions
- Performance issues
- Application crashesIf you are experiencing any of these problems, it is possible that a corrupted driver is the cause.
There are a few things you can do to try to fix a corrupted driver:
Update the driver. If you are using an outdated driver, updating it may fix the problem. You can update drivers manually from the device manufacturer’s website, or you can use a third-party driver updater tool.
Uninstall and reinstall the driver. This can sometimes help to fix corrupted drivers. To do this, open Device Manager, right-click on the device with the corrupted driver, and select Uninstall device. Then, restart your computer and Windows will automatically reinstall the driver.
Use a system restore point. If you have created a system restore point before the problems started, you can use it to restore your computer to a previous state. This will undo any changes that may have caused the driver to become corrupted.
Reset Windows. If all else fails, you can reset Windows to factory defaults. This will erase all of your personal data, so be sure to back up your files before doing this.
If you are unable to fix a corrupted driver yourself, you may need to contact the device manufacturer for assistance.
Here are some additional tips to help prevent driver corruption:
- Download drivers from trusted sources.
- Avoid downloading drivers from unofficial websites, as these drivers may be corrupted or contain malware.
- Use a third-party driver updater tool.
- A third-party driver updater tool can help you to keep your drivers up to date and avoid driver conflicts.
- Run regular system scans for malware.
- Malware can corrupt drivers, so it is important to run regular system scans for malware using a reputable antivirus program.By following these tips, you can help to keep your drivers up to date and avoid driver corruption.